Thursday, May 22, 2008

Still she stands



Where were you nearly 7 years ago on September 11, 2001? I was at home getting read to teach science to my three oldest children and my nephew. My husband was finishing up getting ready for work and happened to have the television on in our bedroom. I don't remember if I walked into the bedroom for something or if I heard the commotion from where I sat at my computer in the living room. Either way, I was soon aware that a plane had crashed in one of the towers. As shocking and disturbing as that was, nothing could have prepared me for what happened unexpectedly just a few second later. All I could do was ask myself why two planes had flown into the towers. How in the world could that happen? Could it get any worse? You know the answer. Yes. As my husband and I stood there staring in disbelief at the television, the two towers came crashing to the ground.

I don't remember the exact date, but a year or so later, our homeschool choir presented a patriotic program and included the song There She Stands by Michael W. Smith. There was not a dry eye in the auditorium.

I realize that not all of my readers are from the United States and thus may not share my patriotism, but I've just got to say that I feel very blessed to have been born and raised in this great country. And the reasons don't really have a lot to do with September 11, 2001. Even had the tragic event never occured, I would still be proud to be called a citizen of the USA.

This year I have been studying the history of the United States of America with my three high schoolers. One of the things we studied was about why some of the original settlers came here. Sure, there was the issue of searching for riches, but things got really serious when certain Christian groups were targeted and persecuted for their beliefs. In order to find reglious freedom, they left everything behind to come to a wild, most uninhabited country where they could worship God as they saw fit. Granted, things have not always run smoothly since then, but this is a country where we are free to worship God . . . or not. And we are not told how to worship God either, which is a problem the early settlers faced in their native homelands.

Though some . . . and maybe many . . . would disagree with me, I would call the United States a Christian nation because of its origins and because of the beliefs of her early settlers. I am thankful to have been born in a country that has Christianity as its main religious preference, though the government in no way forces anyone to be a Christian.

If living in this country and having the freedom to choose to worship God means that we have to defend ourselves against those who do not wish us to have the freedom, then that's just the way it will have to be. After all, freedom isn't FREE!

That's all today. I'm kind of tired and have had my blood sugar drop suddenly on me a couple times the past few weeks while I've been out running errands. It happened this morning and now that I've eaten, I feel weak and tired.

Thanks for reading this week and for all of your comments. I appreciate your time and your encouragement.

Love,

J.L.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I was at home, and my husband called from work and told me to turn on the tv. I sat and watched for the next few hours...and had it on all day... listening for updates.
I'm not an American, but I think most Canadians were just as shocked by it as we were.

The Maid said...

Watching those images and hearing phone calls from people saying their good-byes to loved ones...people jumping out of the WTC towers...it was almost too much to bear.

I'm so proud of our country and how we have bounced back. I know that things will never be the same, but I love the fortitude here.

I am also very proud of George W. Bush...he handled so much during his presidency and with grace. I realize he is not the most eloquent speaker, but I believe that his presidency was God-ordained and appointed for such a time as this!

The Maid