Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Nahum 1:7



So . . . here we are on day three of my favorite videos from YouTube. I don't particularly like YouTube itself because of all of the trash people put on there, but praise the Lord for the good that is there.

Anyway . . .

Have you ever read the book of Nahum? I guess I must have since I highlighted Nahum 1:7 in yellow. It says:

The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble;
and he knoweth them that trust in him.

I love the part that says He knows those that trust in Him, and here's why.

If you've been reading my blog for any amount of time, you know that my boys want to be in law enforcement as a career. This isn't a big surprise to me because they have such servants' hearts. They care about right and wrong, and they love to help people. I think that my boys will be the type of officers who really care about helping the people they have to arrest or come to the aid of, regardless of whether or not they know the people.

People in the community or in society think of law enforcement as those people who either help them when they are in trouble or are the ones who haul them off to jail when they break the law. They trust the men and women in law enforcement even when law enforcement doesn't know them.
Unlike law enforcement folks though, God knows every person who puts their trust in Him. He knows those who put their confidence in His ability and strength. He knows those who believe that He is the source of strength and stability when all is chaotic in life.

You know, I am so thankful that I can know Him, but I am even more grateful that He knows me!!! Psalm 139 says that He has known me since I was curiously wrought in my mother's womb! Verses 17 and 18 tell me that . . .

How precious also are thy thoughts unto me,
O God! how great is the sum of them!
If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand:
when I awake, I am still with thee.

Just imagine the precious thoughts that God has towards you and me! Think of how many thoughts He thinks towards us! There are so many that we could never count them all!

You know, there are many people that we put our trust in that have no idea who we are! And I'm fairly certain that they never think about us if they do not know us!

This year is an election year. How many constituents do you think elected officials know by name? How much do they know about the lives of those people they represent? We trust these people to make wise choices for us, even though they have no clue about us and have never met the majority of us. On the other hand, even though we've never met Christ or God face-to-face, we have learned to trust them with our very lives, and we know that they think about us. Christ is in Heaven ever making intercession for us.

Let's just stop for a minute and think about the fact that God knows every detail of our lives. How does that make you feel? I'm utterly overwhelmed by that fact. How can God know intimately the lives of all those people who put their trust in them? I have no idea. I'm just thankful that He can . . . and that He does.

I hope that you enjoyed today's video and remember that even though we may not understand why God loves us like He does, the fact remains that He does. We can rest in knowing that He knows those who put their trust in Him.

Love you all!

J.L.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Another great devotion! I've seen this video on another site...it's good1